Sunday, November 4, 2007


Yesterday, Samedi was the biggest market day of the year. I awoke to vendors setting up outside our house which is above Caroline and Tom's art gallery on the main street here in Cluny. Up the road a bit there was a sort of horse parking lot with many horses to pet and talk to. Some children were climbing on them and laying on them. They were extremely docile and some of them very large. Sofie asked at one point why the horses were so droopy. Some of them were just that, droopy. They may have been slightly medicated even, as I had the great misfortune to witness one of them being branded. A man twisted the lips of the horse with a tool which kept it from moving I think while another man branded a symbol which looked like a dollar sign, not a Euro sign or a franc, but a dollar sign just by it's mane behing the ear a bit. There were vendors up and down the street with an interesting selection of items, fleece, sausage, fromage, four wheelers, sheets, mattresses, sweaters, and of course crepes with sucre or Nutella. Andouille sausage was another possible purchase which is a specialty from around here. I believe it contains tripe and liver and other exciting parts of a pig. We are not that advanced, even foregoing the Escargot pizza thus far. We have certainly had our share of the fromage though. Last time we ate lunch out I did successfully manage to even order an item not on the menu. Les Nouilles for Anja who hardly eats anything but. I'm very pleased with myself. I had Choucroute Poisson, which is saurkraut with cream and seafood in it and fish on top. Delicious! Would have never thought to combine Saurkraut with anything but Sausage. Eating out has been hilarious starting in Montreal and ever since as we all wait expectantly to see what the server understood or misunderstood. We may have finally overcome that barrier or perhaps it was just a spell of bon chance. Remains to be seen if we can successfully make the transaction at La Poste tomorrow to pay the gite deposit in Paris. We are going on November twentieth for two weeks staying near the Sacre Cour, an area I hear that is up a hill with a lot going on and most importantly to the children, plenty of Chinese food. They want to go to China. For the food and the pandas. We are considering the Canary islands as the weather cools, or atleast Barcelona. Tom and Caroline are looking forward to an event in their art gallery in December. I hope to be here for that. One of their lovely friends brought flowers and lollipops for the girls this morning. You must excuse me. I have a fairy ball to attend now.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Grandma Janet said...

What a fairy tale adventure this has been for you and your family. I just love reading the blogs and seeing the pictures. I just wish I could meet you in Paris next week but it won't work for me this year. Maybe I will meet you in Barcelona next year.
Love, Grandma Janet

Lynne said...

I wish I could meet you guys in Paris next week too!

It sounds like you guys are having a good time. I would be jealous but I got to see Sherman Alexie speak and he's so awesome that I'm totally high about it. So I'll have to be jealous of your fairy ball invitations and your access to 500 different kinds of cheese another time...perhaps tomorrow :)

mimulus said...

WOW! it sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. I am SO envious! But we are going to portland next week to celebrate thanksgiving with my aunt and cousins and their families. Maybe turkey and sauerkraut for your family?