Monday, March 17, 2008

Le Louvre Troisieme

Au jour dui etait mon troisieme fois en Le Louvre. Lynne and I went to the Louvre today. We went to the Italian Renaissance paintings which I'd seen before but this time it was more exciting because the alarm sounded telling us to evacuate the building tout suite- immediately. So like cows we all headed for the nearest exits which were blocked by staff directing us to some other exit we never found. We were pretty sure there was a reason -bomb threat- or something that made them sound the alarm repetitively and drive us toward the exit, but then we went to ask an employee of the museum, another English speaker had beat us to it so we just stood there and listened to their conversation. First the museum employee acted like she was completely unaware of the incessant alarm and announcements directing us to evacuate without going to coat check to pick up belongings along the way. Then she said it must have been a test. hmmm... Anyhow, we were very happy to continue our Louvre visit which was much more expansive, involving the Denon and Richelieu wings, than last time. That building is huge. We also exited through the pyramid this time which was fun. I of course was sure the bomb threat was due to Lynne's new passport which contains a chip so the terrorists can track her down from afar and the U.S. government can keep tabs on her. Because she lives on the wild side, she chose not to buy the protective cover to prevent terrorists from using their American-detection-devices to determine how many Americans are in a place and more importantly whether or not Lynne is there. This is my second exciting moment in my de-stressing vacation from my vacation. The first was when the bus at the Macon TGV station drove off with my suitcase. I of course hollered like a Banshee and the driver stopped, backed up, and I got my suit case out of the side compartment of the bus. Phew!!!

1 comment:

Cynthia Meyers said...

Glad to hear the terrorists didn't find Lynne after all! The U.S. government, on the other hand, they might still try something!

I have been enjoying your stories all year. Boz just told me you are leaving Cluny now--so I am looking forward to Prague stories.