Friday, August 1, 2008

Upper West Side

In New York, an old friend of mine, Elana treated the whole family to brunch and we caught up on old times. She's gotten her Master's degree in education, took up teaching at a middle school (loves her job), and managed to survive a really nasty form of cancer that she watched her mother die of at fifty. I am so impressed with her story, and the way she's handled herself through this ordeal, I haven't stopped thinking about her. She refused Chemo, but is tumor free and just an all around amazingly good humored, and super strong person, who happens to have a slight glitch in the DNA which has wreaked some serious havoc in the past couple years. Many people don't understand why she would refuse Chemo. She's even had to explain it to the Psych ward at the hospital. I am just so proud of her for knowing herself so well, and making her own strong decisions throughout. She's just beautiful!
I wanted to stay in Manhattan on the upper west side for much longer. Both my friend Elana and Cynthia, Caleb's cousin offered to put us up at that time, but we had to move on. We were only in NY for three nights in Tarrytown. Anja is like a flower who droops, not quite a wilt, when she is in the city too long and blossoms when left near water and grass and woods. I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't witnessed it so many times. I think she might get this from her grandpa? Well, he's not a city person either, I hear. Perhaps, I will have to go without the children next time. It's a good excuse at the very least.

No comments: