Thursday, May 26, 2011

Traveling on

Traveling again in Michigan and soon driving to NYC to visit my new niece who is already almost five months old. It is stormy here and much has changed. My sweet father in law has passed away and I miss him terribly. I can't really fathom how his wife feels. I know Caleb and Anja, and even little Sofie are hurting from his absence. The memorial was held the day before our trip to Michigan so we could attend thankfully. I hope it wasn't too soon for anyone. He was/is much loved. The scent of Michigan is very different than that of California. Upon arriving I smelled something akin to fish, but then Anja informed me that it was the scent of Michigan and it changed to resemble Lilacs, which are in full bloom up north and damp soil. Then while walking I was able to partake of all the different tree pollens and sprouting leaves of spring. I have been here five nights and have slept in five beds. Day one I slept at my aunt Karen's house. Day two at Zehnder's Splash Village hotel. Day three was at my mother's by the lake. Day four I picked up Caleb at the Detroit airport at two a.m. and slept at Lynne's house in Ypsilanti. Day five we slept at Aviva's near Dexter. Tonight Caleb and I are back at Lynne's. The children are with grandma Janet by the lake and hopefully receiving lovely haircuts today. The weather is inclement and not so good for lake play, but they will find a way to have fun with grandma, whether it be make-your-own paper dolls, Wii, or card games. Caleb brought their homework that they conveniently forgot in California, but he hasn't been able to deliver yet. We will go back there on Saturday and then to NY Tuesday. Little Dana will be awaiting the arrival of her big girl cousins to show her the ropes no doubt. Bosco's nice, but he can't join in reindeer games, being a dog and all.

No comments: