Saturday, October 13, 2007

au'jour 'dui or something like that....

All is well in Cluny. It was a rather gray, cool day but still a happy one. Sofie and Caleb went for a bike ride to the skate park where she went roller blading and then they watched the horses jump near the Voie Vert where we ride bikes. Anja and I worked on math and cooking. I discovered many delicious grains that even I can eat at the farmer's market this morning like Millet, Amaranth, Quinoa, and Brown rice (first time I've seen it here). I bought beaucoup vegetables including squash and Chard which we ate with the delicious brown rice for dinner. I walked the old woman and her sacs home this morning and she was extremely concerned about the plant she gave Caroline which as far as I can tell looks the same as it did when Caroline left. I was forewarned by Caroline that this woman has specific instructions for the plant which may be why I was able to understand her goings on about the plant- le fleur. I don't know this woman's name, but appreciate her in that she talks and talks to me about things like le fleur until I fully understand, which of course most people wouldn't have the patience or shall I say, motivation to do so. I certainly checked to make sure the plant had water still when I got back from delivering her and her bags safely home. I don't know this woman's name. I don't know the French Madame's name either. I call her Madame if anything. I guess this works for her as she didn't reply when I asked her name. She may have thought I was practicing from the list of phrases she gave me. Or perhaps Madame is her preference. She does know my name, but never asked for it. I volunteered the information so she could write something other than an "X" on her calender. She is a very interesting woman and a nice person. I would enjoy her company even if she wasn't teaching me French. She shows me her artwork - gravures- prints she makes from engravings on metal that she makes. She shows me both and tells me about the process and shows the different tools involved in the job. She looks up birds and insects to show me from her many books that line the shelves of the small very full room we work in. She shows me maps and tells me about Les Alpes which I have only been to in Switzerland when I was seventeen, but are quite near here. I feel a little guilty that I am not getting more contact with people speaking French than this as I may not improve at a very rapid rate, but I am having a great time and she could start charging me any time now. I think she is waiting until I can really converse with her. Then she will feel she's done her job...

1 comment:

mimulus said...

wow, that street fair sounded fantastic...all cultures need a chance to blow off steam in thename of mental health. son;t be too shy to start talking french..I am sure everyoe loves that you are trying and will love to help.

I really admire the gumption it must take to do it!