Monday, October 22, 2007

Concert in Cluny

Yesterday we went to see Yvan Rebroff Cournee de prestige-- in Cluny at the Eglise Notre-Dame, one of the churches right by us. It was a big event, hundreds of people packed in to the church. Sofie had to leave in the middle of the first set. The rest of us enjoyed it, Caleb and I taking turns with Sofie of course. This is one of many lovely things about having a place to stay right in town. Very easy on the children and in turn, on us. I really enjoyed listening to Yvan Rebroff speak because I was pleasantly surprised that I could understand him so well. He is a Russian man so his French is not fluent, and he spoke very slowly. I of course didn't understand everything he said, but my vocabulary is growing and when French is spoken this slowly, it becomes much more clear and obvious. I should take Rebecca's advise and go to Geneva where they speak slow French. My teacher says in Marseille, they pronounce every syllable also. In Paris, it is the opposite. I equate this to the North and South United States, though I don't know if they are said to have a drawl in the south of France (Marseille).
We are still enjoying the delicious Walnuts. Everyone in France harvests their own from the many trees. Rather refreshing, as in California, I felt we had to be sly about harvesting fruit that would otherwise be left to rot on the tree. We asked permission of course at many places, but still felt odd about it, whereas here it is the norm. An American mind like my own would think this would only increase the competition, but there is plenty to go round as always.

1 comment:

Grandma Janet said...

I tried to call you by computor yesterday so that I could show you all 4 of Eddie's boys. Of course you weren't online so there was no answer. Now I know where you were. I am very impressed with your developing fluency in French. I was always very bad at languages. Love, Mom
p.s. Sherry ordered a camera and microphone when she was here and so she will be able to call you herself.