Tuesday, October 2, 2007

BACK ONLINE

We were only off for a short while, but we were a bit worried. It's amazing how much we use this little machine. I ordered my massage table today from Germany by phone of all ways before we got back online. Actually it wasn't working via the computer due to an American address on my credit card. So I called to order a damaged one for 119.00 Euro. It has a centimeter size tear in the upholstery according to the dealer. Good deal anyway. Our transformer was the cause of our computer distress. It burnt up, or blew a fuse. Very smelly. I suspect it was more than the fuse. Caleb bought an adaptor this time as our computer works with 220 as well. I had my first formal French lesson today. The instructor wouldn't accept any money. She will trade massage though which is great. So I have my first client before my table arrives. Unfortunately Tom and Caroline are leaving tomorrow for almost a month. They are going to Ireland to visit friends and family. They are traveling by boat and train. It should give us a chance to try out our French wings so to speak. People here have been fabulously friendly. I get big smiles when I use two simple words, "Madame and Monsuier." Tres facile to please! Everyone thinks the children should be in school here. We are going to look into it for Sofie. Anja out right refuses as usual. It would be great for them to learn a second language so I'm all for it. Another generation of monolingual Americans seems unnecessary at best. Sofie is interested. We will check it out soon. I have another French lesson tomorrow. The teacher is very nice. She is an artist as well. She makes engravings and prints out of them. She is also I think a naturalist and a pacifist. Her husband leads a group of pacifists that act as witnesses to violence in other countries. I forgot what they are called. Tom told us a bit about it. In any case, everyone here is very friendly.

3 comments:

mimulus said...

Woohooo! It sounds like you guys are old pros at being gypsies....although I won;t think you quite legit until youmove into one of those amazing painted rolling caravans ala Roma.

I think it great if the girls (and you) came back speaking french! Kisses and hugs to all!

Lynne said...

Sounds like all is well for you guys.

OMG, I have to send you a video clip from the third season of The Office. I think your brother might secretly be one of their writers.

jolly4 said...

Bonjur Mon Ami, I just exhausted my French vocabulary. I don't even know how to say where is the bathroom. I love seeing the pictures. It sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I can't wait to hear about the next chapter in your adventures.
Peace